I am writing an e-mail (in German) enquiring about job vacancies in some company and I am having difficulty picking an appropriate subject (Betreff) for the e-mail.

I would like to put something equivalent to job enquiry, and the best translations that I came up with are Stellenanfrage and Jobanfrage. However, I am not sure if these words are a correct (or the best) choice.

Are the above suggestions in the spirit of the German language, and are they appropriate translations of job enquiry?

I think Stellenanfrage sounds way better than Jobanfrage. While “job” is heavily-used, I find it rather misplaced in a compound with -anfrage, where Stelle is perfectly valid. You also use Stellenausschreibung and never Jobausschreibung. – dakab Jan 24 '17 at 15:21

Both words are correct, but I think not the best choice.

Jobanfrage A job is a colloquial German word for a job. I would not use it in an job enquiry unless it is a easygoing company and you are well known. And even then, I would not use it. A job enquiry is a serious thing and then you should show, that you take the job serious.

Instead of Stellenanfrage (ask for a job) I would use the expression Bewerbung (job application).

I recommend to make a google search for Bewerbung email. Some interesting hits:

Some recommendations:

• Don't use only Bewerbung in the subject. Tell what job you want and what you are (student, ...)
  • If you answer on a job advertisement, repeat the title of the job advertisement. Mention the reference number if there is one.
  • If possible, address a person in the company (No Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren but Sehr geehrte Frau X X should be the boss of the departement where you want to work or a responsible person of the Human Resources Department)

Good luck for your search.

| improve this answer | |
  • Many thanks for your useful answer. The email is not actually an application, as there are no open advertisements at the moment. I would really just like to say that I would love to work there, if my qualifications meet their needs/standards and also in case they plan to hire more staff in near future. So it is really just an enquiry, an informational email outside any official job advertisement/offer. – Zvonimir Apr 23 '16 at 16:51
  • According to this site karrierebibel.de/blindbewerbung (in particular, the template karrierebibel.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/…) on the so called "Blindbewerbungen", the word Bewerbung is to be used. – Zvonimir Apr 23 '16 at 17:03
    Yes, also in a Blindbewerbung you should use the statement Bewerbung. If there is no special job, you offer yoursels, e.g. like Bewerbung als Softwareentwickler mit Schwerpunkt C++. With Bewerbung you tell what you want and the rest tells what you offer the employer. – knut Apr 23 '16 at 18:35
  • That is precisely what I did. Thank you very much indeed for all the help and useful advice. – Zvonimir Apr 23 '16 at 19:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.