I'd like to know if the following sentence is correct in German:

Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen.

(He finally found a woman with whom to spend the rest of his life.)

Can you say that or is that incorrect?
Otherwise how would you say it?

• "mit der er den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen gedachte / beabsichtigte" – Burki Apr 27 '16 at 13:25

It's wrong by the following reasons:

Either you should fix three things:

1. You are missing a modal verb (e.g. können, wollen,...)

Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen modal verb. (still incorrect)

2. And you are also missing a subject

Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der subject den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen modal verb. (still incorrect)

3. Moreover, zu is doing nothing (so, if you correct 1. and 2., you should leave zu aside).

Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der subject den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen modal verb. (Correct, if you complete correctly.)

Or the next option, which would sound funny, though:

1'. You are missing an um, and in that case ihr instead of der sounds better.

| improve this answer | |
    I don't think you should say "Er fand eine Frau, um mit ihr den Rest des Lebens zu verbringen" - This has a wrong causal relationship in my understanding ("He found a woman because he'd be spending his...") - Der weiterführende Infinitiv mit um ist nicht mehr sehr gebräuchlich. I'd say "Er fand eine Frau, mit der er den Rest seines Lebens verbringen wollte/würde". – tofro Apr 26 '16 at 21:00
    @tofro Fair enough. Then your suggestion is included in the first possibility, isn't it? (Übrigens finde ich diese Frage grenzwertig proofreading, weswegen ich keine vollständige Lösungen aufschreibe, sondern nur das, was wohl einem Menschen, der wirklich Deutsch lernt, helfen würde.) – c.p. Apr 26 '16 at 21:26
  • right - You had mentioned that, and I think that sounds much better. – tofro Apr 26 '16 at 21:27
  • Note that it is one of the defining characteristics of a modal verb that it is used with a “naked” infinitive, i.e. without zu; so a pattern like “… zu verbringen modal verb” is at least misleading. – chirlu Apr 26 '16 at 22:22
  • I did; that’s why I said misleading, not wrong. – chirlu Apr 27 '16 at 7:23
  1. If you want to translate the English sentence "He finally found a woman with whom to spend the rest of his life." a free but good answer is "Er fand endlich die Frau für's Leben.".

2. If you want to make your German sentence "Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen." grammatically correct, there are, besides tofros answer, several possibilities (though I absolutely wouldn't agree on "Der weiterführende Infinitiv mit um ist nicht mehr sehr gebräuchlich."):

Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der ER den Rest seines Lebens verbringen konnte.
Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der ER den Rest seines Lebens verbringen können würde.

The "with whom + infinitive" construction cannot be translated word by word.

Er fand endlich eine Frau, mit der er den Rest seines Lebens zu verbringen vermochte.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.