I have some doubts how to properly write a sentence in German. Since I have als auch in it I am a bit confused. The sentence is coming from a scientific text, so don’t be shocked by the funny terms.

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich Methoden sowohl für die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle, als auch die numerische Effizienz der Löser eingebracht und umgesetzt.

I am basically not sure whether the Satzbau is correct. A friend of mine told me that this sentence sounds odd in German. This is why I would like to ask for the opinion of a native speaker about it.

• Welcome, but note that Stack Exchange is not a forum (which is also why I removed the greeting from your post). See also the help center for more information about how this site works and what is on-topic here. General proofreading questions (“What’s wrong with this text?”) are not considered good questions for German.SE. – chirlu May 3 '16 at 11:24
  • Perhaps you can see the (logical, not so much grammatical) problem with this sentence yourself if you break it up into its two parts: Ich habe Methoden für die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle eingebracht und umgesetzt. Ich habe Methoden die numerische Effizienz der Löser eingebracht und umgesetzt. – chirlu May 3 '16 at 11:26
  • Hint: "als auch" is the second half of a pair that is almost a set phrase. So re. @chirlu's comment, the first sentence is missing something. – Stephie May 3 '16 at 11:31
    @chirlu ^^ "für" im 2. Satz fehlt? – Stephie May 3 '16 at 11:33
  • @chirlu as Stephie wrote, I am missing a "für" in the second sentence? I am starting to float here. I would say that the following should be OK $Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich Methoden sowohl für die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle UND DIE numerische Effizienz der Löser eingebracht und umgesetzt.$ – Alexander Cska May 3 '16 at 11:38

The sowohl … als auch (i.e. not only … but also) construct may be used to connect two parts of a sentence similar to und. When using this we have to take care that the logic behind each part remains intact. For the eample in question we could use the long form:

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich sowohl Methoden für die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle als auch Methoden für die Verbesserung der numerischen Effizienz der Löser eingebracht.

We now know that both sentence parts are the result of introducing methods for improvement. To avoid redundancy and to shorten the sentence we can move the identical parts to the front of the sowohl … als auch construct:

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich Methoden für die Verbesserung sowohl der mathematischen Modelle als auch der numerischen Effizienz der Löser eingebracht.

We can of course also move only parts of the common construct outside of the sowohl … als auch construct:

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich Methoden für sowohl die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle als auch die Verbesserung der numerischen Effizienz der Löser eingebracht.

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich Methoden sowohl für die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle als auch für die Verbesserung der numerischen Effizienz der Löser eingebracht.

Likewise we can use the construct to use a different noun in each part e.g.

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, habe ich Methoden für sowohl die Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle als auch die Effizienzsteigerung der numerischen Löser eingebracht.

|improve this answer|||||
  • now I understand clearly how to write the sentence properly. I was not sure about the als auch construct, but due to your answer I learned quite a bit. – Alexander Cska May 3 '16 at 18:40

Considering your comment that the intended meaning is

I improved the mathematics models and the numeric efficiency

I would say

Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen habe ich Methoden sowohl zur Verbesserung der mathematischen Modelle als auch der numerischen Effizienz der Löser eingebracht und umgesetzt.

You have Mehoden zur Verbesserung eingebracht. Verbesserung wessen? Verbesserungen sowohl der Modelle als auch der Effizienz der Löser.

I studied Maths and Computer Science and I can tell you that, yes, sometimes the language used in scientific texts sounds a bit strange. :-)

|improve this answer|||||
  • vielen Dank für ihr Antwort. – Alexander Cska May 3 '16 at 14:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.