I checked out the case-government issue of trotz in Duden's Richtige-und-Gutes-Deutsch and Langenscheidt-Großwörterbuch-Deutsch-als-Fremdsprache;
both references mark its dative government as colloquial and this stylistic issue has become a major concern :
I dare not use ,,trotz'' with the dative case, for fear that some day I would use it out of habit in academic writing, where colloquialism is definitely frowned upon;
so I'd like to request a clarification: should trotz+ dative noun be avoided in academic writing for the sake of style?

• "trotz" + dative = colloquial - Agreed, but so commonly used nowadays (even in public media) that probably one of the next Duden releases will accept it as correct. "trotz" + genitive, on the other hand, has a slight touch of elitism to it, IMHO. – tofro May 5 '16 at 9:25
  • Nowadays, and in the 18th century. ;-) – Adam Bittlingmayer May 7 '16 at 7:58
    Instead of putting the question on hold, why don't replace "Should be avoided" with "Is avoided", and then it becomes a question with a potential objective answer. I've done so now. – Adam Bittlingmayer May 7 '16 at 8:07
  • @A.M.Bittlingmayer: I’m not sure this edit is a good idea anyway, but only changing the title so that it no longer corresponds to the actual question in the body is definitely nit the right way. – chirlu May 7 '16 at 10:32
  • @chirlu Point taken re consistency. So in the name of being constructive shall we change the question to similar one that can generate objective answers? – Adam Bittlingmayer May 7 '16 at 11:38

Formal writing seems decisively in favour of trotz + genitive, as it has been since the mid-19th century.

enter image description here

The larger dynamic here is that the use of SMS and the like have democratised writing a bit, therefore dialect (for example Swiss) and vernacular elements generally are being written a bit more. But that is different than any shift in what is printed in formal writing.

And of course the firmly established trotzdem is based on the dative.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.