In this sentence Der Saal war voll Menschen.
I am wondering: Of which grammatical case is the Menschen here: the nominative, the genitive or the dative?

Adding an adjective to the noun makes it clearer:

Der Saal war voll grüner Menschen.

So we know it is genitive plural. It is even clearer if we use a noun whose genitive and dative plural forms are distinct:

Der Saal war voll kleiner Kinder.

So it is definitely genitive plural.

• Ist der Dativ nicht grünen Menschen? – Carsten S May 5 '16 at 20:33
  • @CarstenS Hmm, stimmt. Ich hab mehr auf das Substantiv geachtet, und dabei gar nicht gemerkt, dass das Adjektiv ja auch wechselt … – Jan May 5 '16 at 20:35
  • @Jan : thanks for your answer; I found the following examples: ,,Die Straßen lagen voll Schnee'' (from Duden); ,,Die Straßen lagen voller Schnee'' (from DWDS); would you consider the two as genitive constructions as well, with the genitive affix (Schnee-s) being omitted from explicit marking but UNDERSTOOD instead? – Lynnyo May 6 '16 at 1:31
  • @Lynnyo Schnee, being a singulare tantum, works slightly differently, akin to words added onto trotz. I think I would understand voll Schnee to be in dative (but maybe it is nominative, I can’t think of an example where the cases would be different atm), which switches to genitive if an adjective is added: voll gelben Schnees. – Jan May 6 '16 at 10:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.