I've heard

getext (with the x sounding as [ç])

as participle (whereas, maybe, I should write geTeXt). So, there is, at least colloquially, a verb for typing a document in LaTeX.

• texen? (ich texe, du texst, er text, usw.) And because the x after vowel would give problems (doesn't it?), how would it be pronounced?
    +1 from someone who always pronounces "LaTeX" as [lateks] on purpose, just to mess with those LaTeX-users who are offended by this. – hiergiltdiestfu May 7 '16 at 21:51
    Konjugiert wie blechen. – Carsten S May 7 '16 at 21:54
    Ich würde zu In LaTeX setzen/schreiben/verfassen usw. benutzen, um Missverständnisse zu vermeiden. Man tesafilmt auch nicht Buchseiten oder tempot seine Nase, schon seit Jahrzehnten nicht, und ist glücklich. :) – user unknown May 9 '16 at 2:38
  • @hiergiltdiestfu: Ich schlafe auf einer Latex-Matraze und laTeXe. :-) – Martin Schröder May 10 '16 at 19:03
    Ich würde nicht schreiben "du textst", sondern "du texst". Im übrigen ist das nicht dasselbe wie bei Tempo oder Tesafilm, denn diese sind eine Marke unter vielen, während es zu TeX KEINE ALTERNATIVE gibt :-) – lukas.coenig May 10 '16 at 20:26

Yes, that is the verb, texen or TeXen.

Ich texe meine Doktorarbeit.

Note that pronunciation may vary. Bavarians sometimes lean towards /x/ for the x. Those who are proud of their knowledge of classical Greek will use /k/. But /ç/ is most common across Germany.

Since the pronunciation of the x is taken from what Knuth et al. originally wanted for TeX, it is the same across all persons, numeri and tenses. One could probably write techen instead, but that would diverge from the spelling TeX.

| improve this answer | |
  • So even in this first person, where x is before another vowel, ich texe, would it be [ˈtɛçɛ], [ˈtɛkɛ] ? I'd like to say it is [ˈtɛksɛ], but I don't know if that is even understandable and not confuesd with SMS-en. Would it make sense if I conserve the [ç] only if x is not before a vowel? – c.p. May 7 '16 at 18:43
    @c.p. Yeah, texe is /'tɛçə/, /'tɛxə/ or rarely /'tɛkə/. Never /'tɛksə/, unless you want to look bad in the company of TeXers. (Note the final shwa, however.) – Jan May 7 '16 at 19:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.