When do you use mitwirken an and when do you use bei? Does this apply to mitarbeiten and sich beteiligen as well? Or is mitarbeiten always with an?

Mitwirken an, bei and in are possible (in einem Theaterstück mitwirken, Duden.de). I would use bei when events or actions are involved: mitwirken bei einer Vorführung or mitwirken bei dem Bau des Hauses. Instead I would use an when objects are involved: an dem Buch mitwirken or an dem Haus mitwirken (but bei dem Schreiben des Buches <= action). However, it is just a feeling and I am not sure whether it is correct => hence no answer but only a comment. May 8 '16 at 22:00
    Did you check general references, and if so, how did they not help you?
    – Jan
    May 9 '16 at 10:03
  • @Jan: Please specify what you mean with "general references", link or more specific clarification.
    – Thomas
    May 12 '16 at 6:39
  • @Thomas General references like a dictionary. You don't need a link for that. Please check the site rules: questions that show no research on behalf of the OP are discouraged.
    – Robert
    Jun 1 '16 at 21:52
  • @Robert I am a native German and I don't know "general references", what is this? I know the rules of the board and I can understand the "friendly" intention of Jan, however sometimes a bit more information is helping everyone.
    – Thomas
    Jun 2 '16 at 7:41

In fact there are cases where you could use both, and it wouldn't be wrong in a grammar way, but the meaning would become slightly different, depending if you want to make the fact of cooperation more important or the subject/object.

Examples:

Ich wirke bei Frau Muster am Experiment mit.

Ich wirke an dem Experiment zu Wortstellung mit.

aber:

Ich arbeite an einem Buch, dessen Titel noch nicht genannt werden darf, mit.

You have to recognize that the part of "mit" goes behind the object (verb bracket, something unknown to the English language as far as I know). (Not best English, feel free to improve this answer)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.