This is what Duden says about Joghurt:

Joghurt, Jogurt, der, die oder das

Dict.cc provides some more detail:

der/[bes. österr., schweiz., südd. auch] das/[bes. ostösterr. auch] die Joghurt

Well, stick a tail on me and call me a weasel. I never knew die Joghurt would be acceptable and der Joghurt I thought was just a peculiarity of us Southern Germanics. Die Joghurt sounds bizarre to my ears. – Marakai May 10 '16 at 0:55
    Die Joghurt sounds like broken Ruhrpott slang. "Ey Schakkeline, schmeiß mich mal die Joghurt rübä." – hiergiltdiestfu May 10 '16 at 7:23
    In an ancient German textbook, a poem was reprinted containing the line "O seelenloses Automat!", with a footnote claiming that the neutral inflection was obsolete and the current usage was feminine. By the time I got hold of it, that was obsolete as well, and today it's masculine. – Kilian Foth May 10 '16 at 7:36
    @hiergiltdiestfu Wie vom seligen Tegtmeir selber! ;) – Marakai May 10 '16 at 7:41
  • Are you looking for nouns with the same meaning or nouns with different meanings depending on gender are acceptable too? – Eller May 10 '16 at 7:46

Laut Duden gibt es unter 20. Er listet, inklusive Joghurt auf:

• der, die oder das Bookmark
  • der, die oder das Joghurt
  • der, die oder das Triangel

Also die / der / das Nutella. Moreover

Wie bei Markennamen üblich, hat auch das Wort Nutella kein festgelegtes Geschlecht. Die häufigste anzutreffende Form ist allerdings je nach Region das weibliche oder das sächliche Geschlecht, am seltensten wird der Nutella benutzt.

That explanation is based actually on Duden, which moreover states:

Häufig wird die weibliche Form die Nutella verwendet, wohl abgeleitet von der aus dem Italienischen stammenden femininen Endung -ella. Es tritt aber auch die sächliche Form das Nutella auf. Das Neutrum wird häufig auch bei Fremdwörtern gewählt, wenn es keine starken Gründe für das Maskulinum oder das Femininum gibt (...)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.