In a card game (called Magic: The Gathering if you know it), a card (Birds of Paradise) has the following ability:

• Erhöhe deinen Manavorrat um ein Mana einer beliebigen Farbe
  • Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

How is beliebige different from irgendeine?

I read in this post that beliebige simply means "any" (the example was "pick any card"), but that's the same translation for irgendeine. Are they simply synonyms or are there special context rules?

In einem Kartenspiel (Magic: The Gathering) hat eine Kreatur die folgende Fähigkeit:

Erhöhe deinen Manavorrat um ein Mana einer beliebigen Farbe

Was ist der Unterschied zwischen beliebige und irgendeine?

Ich habe hier gelesen, dass beliebige auf Englisch "any" lautet (das Beispiel war "pick any card"), aber das ist auch die Übersetzung von irgendeine. Sind diese Wörter Synonyme oder hängt es von dem Kontext ab?

• Both words basically mean the same i.e. any; however, beliebige is a more formal way of conveying the meaning of any. It means something like as you please, wie es dir beliebt, nach deinem Belieben. – jera May 11 '16 at 7:29
    @jera y u no proper answer? – hiergiltdiestfu May 11 '16 at 7:33

The difference is minute, yet crucial:

Any colour translated as irgendeine Farbe is correct and so is beliebige Farbe.

The difference is the method of choice: irgendeine is a bit unclear about how the colour is chosen (dice throw?) and has more of a "randomness", beliebig means the player chooses a colour of his choice - in the context of the game usually something that suits their strategy.

As I said, they are almost synonymous, especially in a colloquial use, the difference adds a tad more clarification which is useful in a game like MtG.

• Does this randomness also apply to other irgend- words such as irgendwo? – Arc676 May 11 '16 at 7:35
    Full ack, and in addition, I feel that irgendeine takes a lower word quality rank than beliebige. The latter feels more classy and high-level. – hiergiltdiestfu May 11 '16 at 7:35
  • Jup, @hiergiltdiestfu, the register is different. – Stephie May 11 '16 at 7:39
  • @hiergiltdiestfu what does "ack" mean? – Arc676 May 11 '16 at 9:37
    @Arc676 drsl.de/wiki/index.php?wasist=ACK – Carsten S May 11 '16 at 10:01

"Irgendeine" refers to "any" chosen at random, e.g. by the roll of dice.

"Beliebige" refers to "any" chosen at discretion. You are making a decision.

In your example, "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool," the correct word would be beliebige, because you are playing Magic, a game involving strategy, more than chance. On the other hand, if you were playing Monopoly, and were asked to draw "any" Chance or Community Chest card, the right word would be irgendeine (Karte).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.