I’m currently studying German and ran across this sentence:

Wer nicht zu Fuß gehen will, nimmt die U-Bahn.

It had been brought to my attention many many times that the verb should always be the second part in a sentence, even if the first part is not the subject of a sentence. By that logic, shouldn’t the sentence be Wer will nicht zu Fuß gehen, nimmt die U-Bahn?

Just to add to this, if the subordinate clause has one of the following words, the verb will remain as usual because they take up 0 (null) position:

U - und
S - sondern
A - aber
D - denn
O - oder

For example:

Ich bin gerade im Unterricht, aber ich schreibe hier.

But:

Ich lerne Deutsch, weil ich es schön finde.

• This does not answer the question; it should possibly have been a comment. However, it’s also factually wrong: … aber ich schreibe hier is a second main clause, not a subordinate clause. – chirlu May 16 '16 at 10:21
  • I've tried to write it as a comment, but it does not let me yet. – MarioCodes May 16 '16 at 10:25
  • So, "Ich bin gerade im Unterricht, aber schreibe ich hier" is not acceptable? – Evil Racehorse May 16 '16 at 12:23
  • No, because there 'aber' is at position #0 and 'schreibe' at #1. – MarioCodes May 16 '16 at 13:59

The rule stating that the verb is put in second position applies to main clauses. For subordinate clauses, however, there is a different rule: The verb is generally in the final position, just as in your example.

• Now I see the point, so I also ran into this sentence: "Kurz, man darf machen, was erlaubt ist, und nicht machen, was verboten ist" If I decided to swap "darf" and "man" so it reads: "Kurz, darf man machen, was erlaubt ist, und nicht machen, was verboten ist." Would that be wrong? – Evil Racehorse May 16 '16 at 12:20
  • @user268569 That’s almost a different question but here’s your answer: As you wrote it with a comma it would turn darf man machen into a question. If you left out the comma it would mean one can do for a short or limited time. The kurz seems to be some kind of drastically reduced other thing that does not occupy any position in the sentence when separated with a comma. I don’t know the grammatical name. – Jan May 26 '16 at 8:50
  • It's good you mentioned that Kurz takes up null position, that would explain why one shouldn't use verb right after that. Thanks a lot – Evil Racehorse May 26 '16 at 23:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.