Here is the sentence: Ich hoffe, das Stück hat noch nicht angefangen

Isnt hat supposed to be in the end of the sentence since it is on the subordinate clause?

Like: Ich hoffe, das Stück noch nicht angefangen hat?

EDIT: I think I figured it out, Is it because the second part of the sentence is actually a full statement in itself? So the conjugated verb has no obligation to be on the last position?

marked as duplicate by Carsten S, chirlu, Medi1Saif, Hubert Schölnast, tofro May 19 '16 at 21:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Good to know, however I ran across something similar again: Und kaum zu Hause angekommen, war der Himmel blau and das Wetter herrlich. Here the first part is supposed to be subordinate since it does not form a full statement. But why does the main part of the sentence start with the verb war? As far as I know: When the subordinate clause starts with (or contains?) und, sondern, aber, denn, oder, they take up null position so no change of position is required for the verb. But since this is the main part we are talking about. I'm confused... – Evil Racehorse May 17 '16 at 18:53
  • Just to clarify in case that the answers to the related questions do not also answer this: Your variant without "dass" and with "hat" at the end is wrong. – Carsten S May 17 '16 at 18:56
  • Regarding your other question that you should ask separately: I do not know these rules (just a native speaker, sorry), but the sentence is also complete without "und", so the "und" in a way refers to the whole construction and does not change the word order. – Carsten S May 17 '16 at 18:58
  • Thanks, i also felt like I should ask this question alone. I am going to proceed accordingly. – Evil Racehorse May 17 '16 at 19:03
  • Kaum zu Hause angekommen is not a subordinate clause; it is a participle construction that is part of the main clause. – chirlu May 17 '16 at 19:11

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.