I read in a grammar text this sentence:
Wir kränkelten; krank (aber) durften wir nicht heißen.

Leaving out the focal effect of aber from consideration, I am wondering which one of the following expresses a closer meaning to the original 'krank durften wir nicht heißen' :
1. wir durften nicht krank heißen.
2. wir durften krank nicht heißen.

I am unsure whether nicht should precede krank, as in #1, or follow krank, as in #2.

Neither is impossible; in particular, since the use of heißen is already old-fashioned and poetic, another oddity doesn’t feel too strange. The neutral word order, however, is that in the first sentence:

Wir durften nicht krank heißen.

• Thanks; did you mean that either alternative is acceptable? – Lynnyo May 19 '16 at 9:47
  • Yes, for some definition of “acceptable”. :-) These sentences both sound poetic and somewhat odd. With a different verb, e.g. Wir durften nicht krank sein and Wir durften krank nicht sein, you’d have one normal and one strange sentence. – chirlu May 19 '16 at 10:13
  • The oddness comes from the normal contemporary usage of "heissen", which goes with a name only (Ich heisse Fritz). It has, however, an aging meaning, that aligns more with "nennen" (Jemanden einen Trottel heissen) – tofro May 20 '16 at 11:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.