I know Binnen-I used to be a thing, but I am also seeing some other practices like the Gendergap.

Which one is the currently least controversial and most widely accepted?

  • 1
    The answer depends on whom you ask and where you ask himEr :-) . The form "BesucherInnen" (Binnen-I) was used extensively about five years go. Nowadays I do not see it so often anymore. Compared to using Gendergab or only the female version, the Binnen-I is probably less controversial one because it interrupts the reading flow less than the Gendergap. Using the female version only, expresses a political position (from my personal feeling): strong feminist or left-wing. The usage considerably depends on the context. Commented Jun 9, 2016 at 16:46
  • 10
    Gendering ist unprofessionell, da es auf einem Missverständnis basiert, wie Geschlecht in der Sprache funktioniert. Commented Jun 9, 2016 at 20:56
  • 1
    @userunknown - Das andere Missverständnis (genau wie bei PC) ist die irrige Annahme, dass der Einfluss von Gesinnung auf Sprache auch umgekehrt funktionieren würde.
    – tofro
    Commented Jun 10, 2016 at 13:06

1 Answer 1


Using proper words, i.e. both male and female terms at all times.

  • 2
    Right. If you want to change something, don't change the words used, change the mindsets...
    – tofro
    Commented Jun 9, 2016 at 20:20
  • 1
    Or genderneutral forms, such as "Studierende" (at least that is what my university recommended)
    – Iris
    Commented Jun 10, 2016 at 7:42
  • 3
    A point can be made that Studierende is not a full synonym of Studenten und Studentinnen: only those studying right now (in a library, say) would actually be Studierende. So, least controversial? Use both forms.
    – Ingmar
    Commented Jun 10, 2016 at 9:46
  • I agree, but think that this is a bit short for an answer.
    – Carsten S
    Commented Jun 10, 2016 at 10:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.