I know Binnen-I used to be a thing, but I am also seeing some other practices like the Gendergap.

Which one is the currently least controversial and most widely accepted?

closed as primarily opinion-based by Jan, Chieron, tofro, chirlu, Eller Jun 16 '16 at 11:59

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The answer depends on whom you ask and where you ask himEr :-) . The form "BesucherInnen" (Binnen-I) was used extensively about five years go. Nowadays I do not see it so often anymore. Compared to using Gendergab or only the female version, the Binnen-I is probably less controversial one because it interrupts the reading flow less than the Gendergap. Using the female version only, expresses a political position (from my personal feeling): strong feminist or left-wing. The usage considerably depends on the context. – daniel.neumann Jun 9 '16 at 16:46
    Gendering ist unprofessionell, da es auf einem Missverständnis basiert, wie Geschlecht in der Sprache funktioniert. – user unknown Jun 9 '16 at 20:56
    @userunknown - Das andere Missverständnis (genau wie bei PC) ist die irrige Annahme, dass der Einfluss von Gesinnung auf Sprache auch umgekehrt funktionieren würde. – tofro Jun 10 '16 at 13:06

Using proper words, i.e. both male and female terms at all times.

Right. If you want to change something, don't change the words used, change the mindsets... – tofro Jun 9 '16 at 20:20
    Or genderneutral forms, such as "Studierende" (at least that is what my university recommended) – Iris Jun 10 '16 at 7:42
    A point can be made that Studierende is not a full synonym of Studenten und Studentinnen: only those studying right now (in a library, say) would actually be Studierende. So, least controversial? Use both forms. – Ingmar Jun 10 '16 at 9:46
  • I agree, but think that this is a bit short for an answer. – Carsten S Jun 10 '16 at 10:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.