In Great Britain you can get a degree with Merit or Distinction from any university when you have high grades. What is the equivalent or translation for this in German?

  • 2
    "Diplom mit Auszeichnung" might be close, is, however not as "standardized" as it is in the UK and varies between Universities. Heck, I don't even know if they still use it.
    – tofro
    Jun 11, 2016 at 9:27

1 Answer 1


I have a degree "with merit". For my German CVs, I do not translate the "with merit" because there is no proper equivalent. I think it is better to add some kind of explanation that "with merit" is some kind of "Auszeichnung", maybe adding the list of possible degrees from the university (e.g. for my degree, there is "pass", "with merit" and "with distinction").

This is of course part of a more general problem: there is not proper comparison between English marks or degrees and the German grading system.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.