I could find no conjugation of any close verbs that include vorlagen. I found somewhere a mention of a subordinate clause form of vorliegen, which I had never heard of before and can find no reference to in any of my books.

The clause in question is:

Da bis zum Zeitpunkte der ersten Beobachtungen von Feindhandlungen weder besondere Feindmeldungen vorlagen, …

The rest of the sentence is quite long but if needed for context I can add it.

Clarification on the meaning/form of vorlagen would be greatly appreciated as well as direction to information on subordinate clause forms of verbs (that apparently are not included in the conjugation in 501 German Verbs) would be greatly appreciated.

• I don’t have the resource, but you should check whether liegen is included in the 501 German Verbs. – Jan Jun 11 '16 at 15:12

Vorlagen is the past Präteritum of vorliegen, 1st and 3rd persons in plural. It has no relation whatsoever with subordinate clauses.

What you might have done: Check if the verb is separable – you might want to learn the prefixes that make a verb separable. For two-part-verbs, (as in this case), then look up the conjugation of the root.

There are no German verb forms that are exclusive to subordinate clauses.

However, there are irregular German verbs, often called strong verbs (starke Verben). These are typically characterised by a change of the stem vowel in the different tenses. In this case, vorliegen behaves exactly like liegen (vorliegen is also separable, so the present tense is ‘es liegt vor’, which shows the relation) and liegen is a strong verb.

Ich liege.

Ich lag.

Ich bin gelegen. (habe gelegen in the North)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.