I don't know why but I couldn't create a question using welch- in genitive case. I think I must quit studying german for a while.

die typischen Merkmale der Epoche sind oben gelistet.

This is a simple sentence about an era called "Aufklärung", I would like to add a question to this sentence and ask it. But I could not done with it using "welch-". Could you please have a look at my question if it works?

Die typischen Merkmale welcher Epoche ist oben gelistet?

Von welcher Epochen typischen Merkmale sind oben gelistet?

Because of the fact that you are asking for more than one Merkmal, you need to use sind instead of ist in your first question, which is otherwise fine:

Die typischen Merkmale welcher Epoche sind oben gelistet?

If you want to ask for more than one Epoche (for example, if the Merkmale match more than one) you can also use the same sentence structure:

Die typischen Merkmale [wessen] sind oben gelistet?
Die typischen Merkmale welcher Epochen sind oben gelistet?

Note the plural Epochen.

The declension would be like this:

nom: welche Epoche  | welche Epochen
gen: welcher Epoche | welcher Epochen
dat: welcher Epoche | welchen Epochen
akk: welche Epoche  | welche Epochen

In addition and based on the comments to one of the other answers: you might want to use aufgelistet or aufgeführt instead of gelistet.

• I'm happy almost was sentence correct, when we didn't count using singular case instead plural which was my typo.Thanks for explanation. – Dragut Jun 20 '16 at 11:33

Neben Therins Fragen:

(Mehrzahl: Merkmale, also sind gelistet)

Von welcher Epoche sind die typischen Merkmale oben gelistet? (Dem Zeitalter der Aufklärung.)

(Einzahl: der Epoche, also auch welcher Epoche)

sind weitere möglich:

Die typischen Merkmale der Epoche sind an welchem Ort gelistet? (Oben.)

Die typischen Merkmale der Epoche sind oben auf welche Art notiert? (Sie sind gelistet.)

Welcher Art sind die Merkmale der Epoche, die oben gelistet sind? (Sie sind typischer Art.)

Aufgelistet ist auch schön, aber gelistet ist längst in den dt. Sprachgebrauch eingezogen, und da es im Ausgangssatz für die Frage steht, gehört es auch in die Frage.

Your first question is fine when you replace ist with sind:

Your second question should be:

Von welchen Epochen sind die typischen Merkmale oben gelistet?

Some explanation would be nice. – Iris Jun 20 '16 at 10:40
  • The first one has to be with sind because Merkmale is plural. The second one I can not explain, I hope someone else could. – Therin Jun 20 '16 at 10:48
    Hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Visit the help center for unanswered questions about how it works. As Iris said, answers that give explanations to phenomena rather than just saying ‘it’s like that’ are generally better received here. – Jan Jun 20 '16 at 11:16
    @Therin by the way "to listen" is Anglizismus, what is german word instead? – Dragut Jun 20 '16 at 11:38
    @Therin, please include additional information to your answer, instead of commenting (edit butten is below your answer). – Iris Jun 20 '16 at 12:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.