"Seine Haare sind braun." sounds a little weird in English. Word-for-word it translates to "His hairs are brown.".

Is there another gentle way of saying this in German?

There is nothing wrong with this German sentence. – Ingmar Jun 23 '16 at 17:51
    Learning a foreign language you must break a habit of mot-a-mot translation. – Eller Jun 23 '16 at 18:18
  • I thought there was a typo in Duolingo app – Daniel Andrei Mincă Jun 23 '16 at 18:22
    The same goes for "The police are coming" - sounds weird to the German ear :-) – Thorsten Dittmar Jun 24 '16 at 11:41
    No. "Die Polizei kommt". Just another example for expressions that can not be translated word by word. – Thorsten Dittmar Jun 24 '16 at 13:54

You could alternatively use "Seine Haarfarbe ist braun". Though that's more impersonal and not really used much. I would stick with "Seine Haare sind braun", even if it might sound a bit weird to you.

| improve this answer | |
  • I actually needed 2 years to understand that one should not learn German by translating German phrases/words to English, instead look for German synonyms – Daniel Andrei Mincă Apr 9 '19 at 18:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.