I've searched for the german translation of this phrase mental block and noticed that there are several translation such as mentaler Block, Blockade, Lösungsblockade etc.

Which one of them best fits my translation needs?

en: According to affective filter hypothesis the learner cannot utilize the input since there is a mental block.

de: Gemäß der Affektive-Filter-Hypothese kann ein Schüler den Input nicht nutzen, da es eine Blockade gibt.

"Blockade" as in your translation is probably not enough to translate mental block ("Blockade" could be anything - from active rejection by the learner to noisy environment, whatever). "Mentale Blockade" is most probably the right translation and a standing expression.

"Lösungsblockade" is more about solving conflicts. I don't see any here. But it might be in the context.

• Is "Gemäß" a perfect prepositon for hypothesis or could I also use "nach" and" laut? – Dragut Jun 30 '16 at 5:25
  • Gemäß, laut, nach, entsprechend and zufolge are perfectly suitable when referring to a hypothesis. Note all of them are used a bit differently and ask for the dative – tofro Jun 30 '16 at 7:37

In addition to trofo's answer:

Mental block can also be translated as Denkblockade (1, 2) or Denkhemmung (3, 4), but I think Denkblockade is much more common than Denkhemmung.

• Mentalsperre - das hat so einen modernen Klang. :) – user21173 Jul 1 '16 at 5:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.