About this sentence:

Der Motor des Autos hat viel zu wenig Öl. Infolgedessen ist er kaputt gegangen.

Why it is er not es?

As I know er means he in English. So, es should be used as it in English.

closed as off-topic by Gerhard, chirlu, Crissov, Jan, Eller Jul 3 '16 at 20:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Gerhard, chirlu, Crissov, Jan, Eller
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I think this question should be closed due to not consulting a general reference. Any textbook will mention this within the first chapters. Mahmoud, FYI: German nouns have genders. – Gerhard Jul 3 '16 at 11:29
    English and German are different languages, with different grammars. – chirlu Jul 3 '16 at 11:42
  • I think answering my question, rather than closing it, would be more helpful. By the way, German, is not my mother tongue and that is why I asked this question. Thanks for c.p. for answering my question professionally... – Mahmoud Jul 3 '16 at 12:07
    Mahmoud: the suggestion to close was not intended as a personal slight. Much more advanced questions get closed around here, when the OP has not shown that he has not performed some prior research. Furthermore: i actually gave you an answer. – Gerhard Jul 3 '16 at 15:47
  • @Mahmoud While of course it would be helpful to you to answer the question, the site aims to be helpful to more expert users. Hence why we require questions — especially those that can be answered easily by a grammar book — to show prior research. Thus, closing is the correct choice here. – Jan Jul 3 '16 at 16:15

Whilst German and English grammars share many features, you face now something which is radically different: gender. Motor, in your example, is masculine. Therefore the pronoun should be also masculine, er (alternatively der). German does not quite obey English-pronoun rules regarding whether you treat an object or a person.

• es would be correct, too, if one wanted to refer to the car or the oil (das Auto/Öl). – Crissov Jul 3 '16 at 15:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.