I see in some texts a hypen -. Especially while expessing how old somebody is, or how outdated something is. I would like to know if there is a rule on how to use it?

Die 5jährigen Erzählerinnen leisten unter den Bedingungen der formellen Situation folglich strukturell mehr als unter den Bedingungen der informellen Situation.

Duden is very clear on this:

The hyphen is correct according to Duden - Numbers in digits that are part of a concatenation have to be connected to the rest of the word using a hyphen.

der 75-prozentige Rum

die 12-jährige Tochter

ein 12-Zylindermotor

ein 8-tägiger Urlaub

Only if the number is connected to a postfix (Nachsilbe) that is not a valid word on its own, the hyphen is omitted:

1000stel

68er-Generation

20%iger Likör

According to this, your example is actually wrong.

See also § 40 (3) and § 41 of the official rules here, here, or here. – Loong Jul 5 '16 at 20:50
  • Scientific texts would require a space between 20 and %, since the latter is treated like a unit. However, that space is commonly omitted in everyday writing. – Jan Jul 6 '16 at 1:25
    Just like in an example given in @Loong first link (§ 44), I would write 12-Zylinder-Motor, because it's a Motor that has 12 Zylinder, and not a Zylindermotor that is somehow 12-fold. – Raketenolli Jul 6 '16 at 12:54
  • @Raketenolli - When I wrote that word, It was actually the single one where I was unsure - You might be correct we need the second hyphen. – tofro Jul 6 '16 at 13:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.