I could not find a proper title for my question,this usage shows where the similarity or difference are in comparing facts.

How could I translate in that part in following sentence.

En: Second language acquisition is similar to the first language acquisition in that they have the same stages of development.

De:Zweitspracherwerb ist ähnlich der ersten Spracherwerb, in dem der die gleichen Phasen der Entwicklung haben.

What about a simple "because"? Der Zweitspracherwerb ist ähnlich dem Erstspracherwerb, weil (because) sie die gleichen Entwicklungsphasen haben. (I replaced "Phasen der Entwicklung" with "Entwicklungsphasen". "Entwicklungsstufen" would fit as well or even better.) – PerlDuck Jul 16 '16 at 21:08
    I would rather use "insofern als," as I think "because" has a different connotation. "Because" implies causality, while "in that" points to the aspect in which the two processes are similar. – Hans-Martin Mosner Jul 17 '16 at 7:57

I marked a possible translation of "in that".

De: Der Zweitsprachenerwerb ist insofern genauso wichtig wie der Erstspracherwerb, als dass sie die gleichen Phasen der Entwicklung haben.

Notice that "in that" is divided in two parts ("insofern" and "als")

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.