I’m looking for a list of ways in which prepositions can be combined with each other to mean new things, for example

ab und zu – now and then

bis auf – except for

I’ve tried to google this extensively, but Google keeps thinking I’m talking about either two-way prepositions (prepositions that can be either accusative or dative) or verb–preposition combinations.

Your two examples are different things - I would not see "Ab und zu" as a double preposition - The conjunction between the p.s changes things. "bis" is the most prominent that comes to my mind to form double or even triple prepositions: "Die Strasse reichte bis hin zu den Bergen". "Jenseits von" and "diesseits von" are other examples. Some people claim those words are no longer prepositions in such a usage, but rather adverbs – tofro Jul 19 '16 at 12:51

Back when I learned German, I just opened each preposition in this dictionary and wrote down all combinations. If you check auf and bis, you will already find:

• auf und ab
  • auf und nieder
  • bis auf
  • bis zu

and a few more. Just go through all of them (they are not that many)!

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.