I've just found out when I've sent our machine safety labels for translation that the English word "Leaks" is translated as "Lecks" in German. How come this word is pluralized the same way as an English word?

  • 3
    "Leck" is originally a Dutch word (Dutch plural "lekken") that was imported into German, see woerterbuchnetz.de/DWB/…. Many foreign words get the "-s" plural in German. See de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural#Der_s-Plural – user4973 Jul 20 '16 at 7:52
  • 2
    Why not? Page 8, second bullet: personal.uni-jena.de/~x1gape/Wort/Wort_Nomen_Pluralform.pdf – Carsten S Jul 20 '16 at 7:57
  • 1
    Taken from Low German/Dutch a long time ago, though dwds.de/?qu=Leck – Carsten S Jul 20 '16 at 8:04
  • 3
    Wrack/Wracks and Dock/Docks and Hotel/Hotels is the same irregularity. So it probably even isn't something irregular ;) – tofro Jul 20 '16 at 8:32
  • 1
    @what I am not happy with the Wikipedia article - With the chosen examples, it creates the impression as if the -s Plural would exclusively be used with English loanwords and abbreviations. – tofro Jul 20 '16 at 10:16

Adding a plural-s is one of the wide variety of possible plural forms in German. It is a valid form and does not have much of a connection to the English plural-s (although there might be common roots).

Some more examples of substantives that use the "s"-plural form:

  • Wrack / Wracks
  • Dock / Docks
  • Deck / Decks

Those words seem to have a common root in Low German/Dutch with their English counterparts and have a marine background.

  • Hotel / Hotels
  • Reck / Recks (also: Recke)
  • Auto / Autos
  • Hobby / Hobbys
  • Opa / Opas
  • Mutti / Muttis
  • Junge / Jungs (also: Jungen)
  • Foto / Fotos
  • Sofa / Sofas
  • and many more...

Some of those (probably) have a common root with their English counterpart, some don't.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.