I know the usage of von, genitive case and possessive pronoun, but when and how should I use zu in the sense of possession?

For example:

Demonstration zum Weltfrauentag
Prüfung zum Steuerberater
Übung zu Wortarten

"zu" is a preposition. first example means "to the occasion of": "Demonstration zum Anlass des Frauentages". 2nd example means "to become": "Prüfung, um anerkannter Steuerberater zu werden." 3rd example means "dealing with": "Übung zum Thema Wortarten". – user22338 Jul 20 '16 at 9:06
    There is not a single case with a sense of possession among your 3 examples :) – Eller Jul 20 '16 at 9:19
  • Now I realise it is somehow like an expression in English: "Opinion 'on' that issue" , "A father 'to' five children", "Reason 'for' something" – halle llujah Jul 21 '16 at 10:41

None of your examples actually indicate a possession. The demostration is on the occasion of the International Women’s Day, the examination is to become a tax advisor and the exercise is concerning word types.

All three of these could also take von, but that would change the meaning in every case to something much closer to possession.

Demonstration zum Weltfrauentag Prüfung zum Steuerberater Übung zu Wortarten

As usual understanding what the actual word means in context helps a lot.

Übung zu Wortarten --> Exercise in regards TO word types (about)

Prüfung zum Steuerberater --> I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Demonstration zum Weltfrauentag --> Demonstrate at/during the Weltfrauentag. (Time)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.