Ich bin nur etwas nervös.

This sentence literally translates into "I'm just something nervous", correct? So does it basically mean "I'm just a little nervous"?

How does it compare with the version that omits the word "etwas"?

Ich bin nur nervös.

closed as off-topic by Robert, Em1, tofro, Carsten S, Ludi Jul 22 '16 at 7:09

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Robert, Em1, tofro, Carsten S, Ludi
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Did you use a dictionary? "something" is only one of many translations for "etwas", and clearly not the right one in your example sentence. dict.leo.org/… – Robert Jul 22 '16 at 3:38
  • somewhat nervous would have been a better choice than something.. – Chieron Jul 22 '16 at 7:41

You are correct about both the translation and the meaning of etwas in this sentence. You could replace etwas with ein bisschen and the meaning would stay the same.

Ich bin nur ein bisschen nervös.

You can do the same in many other cases, such as

Sie nahm etwas Salz. = Sie nahm ein bisschen Salz.

Ich brauche etwas Geld. = Ich brauche ein bisschen Geld.

As to how it compares to the sentence without the etwas.. The same as in English!

Ich bin nur etwas nervös. = I'm just a bit nervous.

Ich bin nur nervös. = I'm just nervous.

The first one sounds a bit milder than the second one.

• Well, and the two sentences (with and without "etwas") can have different use cases. E.g.: "Are you nervous?" "Well, yes. But I am just a bit nervous" versus "Are you fine? You don't look too well." "Yes, I'm fine. I'm just nervous. That's it." Of course, the latter one would be fine with "just a bit", too. – Em1 Jul 22 '16 at 6:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.