What's the most common way to conjugate verbs for "Ich" when the infinitive ends with a consonant followed by n?

For lächeln mentioned above, Wiktionary gives Ich lächle, lächele and lächel. Does it vary by region, or is there a commonly accepted spelling?

• In case of "lächeln" I usually "lächle" or "lächel". Very rarely "lächele". As of "flüstern", I never "flüstre", but "flüster" or "flüstere". – Em1 Jul 26 '16 at 13:09

In German verbs ending in -eln or -ern, you remove the final n to get the verb's infinitive stem, but you can then optionally drop the last e in the infinitive stem in the first person singular of the Indikativ Präsens/ present indicative.
For verbs ending in -eln (e.g. blinzeln, jubeln, klingeln, pendeln, prügeln, pinseln), you can also do this for all forms of the Konjunktiv I / present subjunctive.

Lächeln is conjugated in the same way as handeln.
Flüstern is conjugated in the same way as wandern (other examples: hindern, lagern, plündern).

The forms ich lächele and ich lächle are official.
I doubt that ich lächel is official: except for most modal and auxiliary verbs (sein, sollen, dürfen, ...), the first person singular of the present indicative ends in -e.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy