I have an old wine goblet, I think it's a wine goblet, that has raised figures of a woman holding a wreath over her head with an animal at her side, a family crest is next, a panoramic view of a city and below it is the word MUNCHEN, next looks like a priest. The reason I think it's a wine goblet is the base has clusters of grapes and leaves.

It is a piece from my family that came from Germany in the mid 1800's. I think Carl or Joseph Kobitz was someone in the church. I would like to know what this goblet/chalice signifies.

closed as off-topic by user unknown, c.p., Hubert Schölnast, Ludi, Robert Aug 3 '16 at 18:47

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – user unknown, c.p., Hubert Schölnast, Ludi, Robert
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Does it really say Munchen, not München? And is it bier and not Bier? – Carsten S Aug 3 '16 at 16:37
    We are not translation service. You might want to edit and state what from your research you didn't understand. – c.p. Aug 3 '16 at 17:26
  • This wouldn't be a pewter goblet like these, would it: worthpoint.com/worthopedia/… – Mac Aug 4 '16 at 7:38
  • The priest is probably a monk, the namesake of the city. – Stephie Aug 4 '16 at 17:42
  • Yes, Carsten it is like the second spelling and Bier. Sorry c.p. I thought that's what this site was for. YES, Mac it is the same. Thank you Stephie for correcting it to monk. Thank all of you for your help. – Kobitz Aug 5 '16 at 2:00

First of all, München is a town in Bavaria. In English it is known as Munich. Then

Kunst und Bier gibt es allhier.

(I have capitialised Bier according to modern orthography. I would think that this would also have been done in the 19th century, but I am not sure) simply means

There is art and beer here.

The word allhier is an obsolescent variant of hier (here). The expression es gibt, literally it gives, means there is. German word order is different from English word order and more flexible. A word by word translation would be: * Art and beer gives it here. Note that Bier (pronounced similarly to the English beer) rhymes with allhier.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.