When reading a taz.de article "Lange ist nicht mehr so viel passiert", I came across a word Stoßgetweet. It occurs in the introductory paragraph of the article:

Früher war mehr Lametta. Heute ist mehr Lamento. Über Augstein [Jakob Augstein, a German journalist], Autobahn-Hühner und das überbordende Stoßgetweete.

and in the final paragraph:

Im Gegenteil: Noch viel zu viele unschuldige Seelen laufen da draußen (gleichzeitig) rum und schnuppern an Blumen, statt Augstein zu folgen. Denn in Zeiten wie diesen ist es wohl nur noch das „Hallo, hier bin ich“, das beherzte Stoßgetweet, das uns von dem Bösen zu erlösen vermag.

Google search seems to indicate that the word Stoßgetweet has been used for the first time ever in the above-referenced taz.de article.

Would a word Stoßtweet (I just came up with it) be an appropriate replacement for Stoßgetweet? Also, what's the meaning of Stoßgetweet?

Stoßgetweet (very nice find, BTW) lives from its resemblance to Stoßgebet (look that up) and is thus understandable for a native speaker as a desperate plea to twitter for help or support (as opposed to a desperate prayer to god).

If you change it to Stoßtweet, you remove too much (IMHO) of this resemblance to still have something anyone would understand. (But that is very much opinion-based). Even if German allows you to build your own words using known grammar structures and rules, you should still stay within a "limited range of obviousness" on what your new word means to say - And I think "Stoßtweet" stretches it a bit too far. You could also not expect to be able to shorten Stoßgebet to Stoßbet, that leaves you with unintelligible rubbish. OTOH, non-internet affine speakers wouldn't even understand Stoßgetweet.

Most of the article is, very hard to understand for a non-native, mostly because of its many hidden cross-references. Did you get the "Früher war mehr Lametta" part? That is a citation of an old Loriot sketch. And if you didn't get the "Autobahn-Hühner" part, that is a reference to this article.

| improve this answer | |
    Definitely right, I wouldn't even say opinion based. Stosstweet will not spark the connection! – Ludi Aug 5 '16 at 7:02
  • @tofro This was one of the very few articles I had to read twice to understand it. You are right, reference to "Lametta" wasn't clear to me. From a dictionary, I could see that the talk was either about military medals or about long narrow strips for Christmas decoration. But why the reference at all, that was Greek to me. I actually could figure out the part with the "Autobahn-Hühner" from context in the body of the article, but your link makes it finally clear what the talk was actually about (Thanks!). Some articles in taz.de are really challenging, especially in the "Wahrheit" section. – Eugene Str. Aug 5 '16 at 7:38
    The Loriot quote "früher war mehr Lametta" has become a phrase. It means something like "I don't have a real reason to dislike something, but I don't like it anyway, so I complain about something". It's mostly used in a (self-)mocking fashion. In the taz article, it's used differently, namely in a word play: "Lametta" - "Lamento" ("lamentation"). A translation, loosing the joke completely, would be "Back then, we had more tinsel. Today, we have more complaining". – Henning Kockerbeck Aug 5 '16 at 11:17
    @bwoebi "das beherzte Stoßgetweet, das uns von dem Bösen zu erlösen vermag." very clearly hints to Stoßgebet and not to "mass tweeting" – tofro Aug 5 '16 at 15:30
    @tofro I'm not sure. In the introduction "das überbordende Stoßgetweete" hints to Stoß- in general. I guess it's probably used in both senses. – bwoebi Aug 5 '16 at 15:34

Both Stoßgetweete and Stoßtweet have their justifications. I stumbled across the form Stoßgetweet but I can totally see its (admittedly much weaker) justification, too.

Let’s start off with (the singular word) das Stoßgetweete. The site is called Twitter, the German verb for to tweet is tweeten and in the same way as transforming reden into Gerede or fragen into Gefrage, we can derive das Getweete for a series of random, unimportant, unnerving, or whatever else you want to add here tweets. If that happens ‘shotwise’ (stoßweise, e.g. #Aufschrei), you can be inclined to call it Stoßgetweete. I wouldn’t use it in a positively worded sentence.

Now a single tweet, would be just that in German, too: ein Tweet. Don’t ask me whether the verb lost a shwa or whether tweeten was derived from the noun. All that I can definitely note is that contrary to nouns like Frage, Rede, Bitte, etc., this word does not end with an e. If you blurted out a single tweet in a similar way to the wave of tweets mentioned above, that could be called a Stoßtweet. (Or maybe it was just a Tweet that was supposed to shove somebody/something in a certain direction, up to you to decide!)

Let’s finally consider Stoßgetweet. I do not consider this a well-formed word, unlike Stoßtweet and Stoßgetweete, which I would immediately accept. However, it kind of makes sense in the context you give by alluding to the Stoßgebet. I would consider this a malformed word for generating effect, though. I doubt too many people would have connected Stoßtweet to Stoßgebet while Stoßgetweet immediately suggests such a connection.
The thing I dislike most about it is the seemingly extraneous -ge-. As mentioned above, I deem Stoßtweet to be a good enough word and I don’t deem Getweet to be acceptable. The prefix ge- is a pretty common one in German, especially due to it marking past participles. I’m not sure about whether the ge- in Gebet is one of those, though and that is the weak basis that that analogy is built upon.

tl;dr: No, you cannot choose your grammatical rules to make up words, but if there is a sufficiently strong analogy, you can get away with some misformings better than with others.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.