I know that "Gewitter" means "Thunderstorm" and "Ungewitter" means "Violent storm", Could we say that Gewitter is a strom that have thunderbolt but Ungewitter may have thunderbolt?

I'm German and I had to google "Ungewitter". I've never heard it before.... – Iris Aug 5 '16 at 7:56
    Gewitter does not imply a storm at at all, merely thunder and bolts. Un(ge)witter would be a lot of wind and rain or snow, but not nessecairly any thunder – Beta Aug 5 '16 at 8:02
    @Beta I think the other term would be Unwetter which refers to really bad wheather, including wind/storm, heavy rain, perhaps hail, thunder while Gewitter is only thunder and bolts. – PerlDuck Aug 5 '16 at 8:10
    @Beta Exactly, you are right. I just wanted to stress on UnwEtter vs. Un(ge)wItter (e vs. i). Like Iris, I've never heard Ungewitter before. – PerlDuck Aug 5 '16 at 8:25
    And dict.cc indicates that "Ungewitter" = violent storm [mostly with heavy rains]. And that "Ungewitter" is an obsolete [veraltet] term. – Eugene Str. Aug 5 '16 at 11:47

Well "Gewitter" is something where you have thunder and lightnings, so it would be a thunderstorm in English. But a "Ungewitter" is an other form from "Unwetter" which could also be a thunderstorm, but more likely just bad weather with heavy winds and rain.

So a "Gewitter" is always a "Unwetter", but a "Unwetter" not always a "Gewitter".

But while speaking German "Ungewitter" is not that common, we mostly use "Unwetter" or just say there will be bad weather ("schlechtes Wetter").

| improve this answer | |
    Stimmt! Willkommen. Und als Muttersprachler habe ich "Ungewitter" noch nie gehört! – Ludi Aug 5 '16 at 13:47
  • Ist aber ein deutsches Wort, so komisches es auch klingen mag. – Anetair Aug 5 '16 at 13:48
    Taking a look at Ngram, it seems the word is pretty old and not used much nowadays. [also as an image, for the benefit of mobile users] – RAnders00 Aug 5 '16 at 15:16

"Ungewitter" is a word for "Gewitter", not used anymore (I never heard it before. Duden and several other dictionaries say it's an old german term). Usually we speak of a Gewitter or Unwetter.

Duden defines "Unwetter" as follows [translated from german]: "Very bad, stormy weather, usualy with heavy rain [and thunderstorm]. Its intensity causes damages."

While "Gewitter" is defined like this: "Storm ((in original it says even "Unwetter")) with lighting, thunder [and rain or similar]"

A Gewitter is a thunderstorm and Unwetter is a bad, stormy, weather condition in general, with or without Gewitter.

Just google "Ungewitter": 389.000 hits. A frequent name, not a »Wetter«. But "Unwetter": nearly 10 million hits. 

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.