I'm learning German now and we studied in class the subject of passive voice. The German language has two forms of passive voice — “Vorgangspassiv” and “Zustandspassiv”.

In order to understand better these two subjects I want to make a parallel with English. Does English have analogues of “Vorgangspassiv” and “Zustandspassiv”? Or in a case of English, there is no separation of passive voice to two different types.

P.S. I ask this question here because I want to get the opinion of those, who are familiar with the grammar of both German and English.

Although the question is offtopic, I will try to answer it through examples.

Vorgangspassiv

Die Tür wird geschlossen. => The door is being closed.

Die Tür wurde geschlossen. => The door has been / was being closed (if emphasizing the activity of closing) or The door has been closed (if emphasizing the result)

Zustandspassiv

Die Tür ist geschlossen. => The door is closed.

Die Tür war geschlossen. => The door was closed. depending on situation also The door has been closed.

The German grammar constructs of Vorgangs- and Zustandspassiv, thus existing different passive forms with verbs sein and werden, are a result of lacking aspects in German language. Other languages have different solutions for this, for English see here (Wikipedia) and for German see for example here (German.SE).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.