I’m learning German by watching a movie, which is about a Hacker Who am I — No system is safe. I came across this sentence which confuses me:

Ich bin einer der meist gesuchten Hacker der Welt.

My questions are:

1. what is the role of einer here?

2. my understanding about superlative adjective is: unlike in English, it can never be formed by meist- + adjective. But here is der meist + gesuchten Hacker <=> the most wanted hacker, it’s similar to English.

It is not clear to me why we use einer der meist + adjective here?

• Related: german.stackexchange.com/questions/30952/… (May even answer your question) – tofro Aug 7 '16 at 14:37
    Shouldn't the proper word be meistgesuchten, without a space? – Mr Lister Aug 7 '16 at 18:03
  • gesuchten? i found in dictationary that "gesucht" is an adj, but here it makes me think about a verb in perfect tense (ge...en). pls explain, thanks – Vick Aug 10 '16 at 14:40

The sentence is almost 1:1 same in English:

I am one of the most wanted hackers in the world.

Ich bin einer der meistgesuchten Hacker der Welt.

Please notice, that this word is written together (thank you user_unknown) - keep reading for explanation.

Your confusion might result of the fact, that English superlatives are built using most (most beautiful, most powerful), whereas in German not (they are build with am ---sten, for example am schönsten).

Actually, meist is the superlative of viel (used as adverb in the meaning of frequent, see definition II here). Saying vielgesucht is perfectly correct and meaning searched a lot (or, in this context much wanted).

To complicate things a little more, we sometimes write things in German together, sometimes not. If written together, mostly a second meaning appears, often metaphorically. A nice example of this phenomenon is:

neuer Wagen (a newly bought car)

Neuwagen (a new, just produced car)

Same thing here:

meist gesucht would mean mostly wanted (but sometimes also not wanted)

meistgesucht means most wanted

Further reading Further reading 2

Your second example about snowmen is not the very best. Colours are not gradable, "am weißesten" is colloquial. You could use "kalt" (cold) but "kalt" is directly gradable "am kältesten" and "am meisten kalt" does not sound right for a native German (me). I would propose the two sentences "Schneemänner sind im Sommer meist benachteiligt " (Snowmen are usually disadvantaged in the summer) and "Schneemänner sind im Sommer am meisten benachteiligt " (Snowmen are most disadvantaged in the summer) or something in that line. – deamentiaemundi Aug 7 '16 at 22:40
  • So lucky for me when being with a native German, thanks @deamentiaemundi – Vick Aug 9 '16 at 16:33
    Ein meist gesuchter Verbrecher ist einer, der auch ab und zu nicht gesucht wird, aber meist wird er gesucht. Im Ggs. dazu ist ein meistgesuchter Verbrecher einer, der am intensivsten Gesuchten. – user unknown Aug 19 '16 at 5:42
  • Völlig korrekt! Ich werde meine Antwort entsprechend ändern. – Bartłomiej Zalewski Aug 19 '16 at 8:21
  • No, German superlatives are not generally created with am –sten. This applies to the superlatives of adverbs. Adjectives form their superlatives with a simple ste: »Die längste Antwort« (not: »die am längsten Antwort«). – Jan Aug 21 '16 at 15:08

1 Einer here is "one" in the sentence "one of the most wanted Hacker"

2 Im not sure , but the Adj "gesuchten" is "Partizip II" , und with Partizip 2 adj you use the Meist+adj to give superlative .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.