A water dispenser provides water at 3 different temperatures:

• chilled water
  • ambient water
  • hot water

What is a suitable and short translation for "ambient water"? This water is served at room temperature.

Correct translations would be "Wasser bei Raum-/Umgebungstemperatur", but that seems a little too long. "Ungekühltes Wasser" is the best solution that I have found so far. Do you have any better ideas?

gekühlt / ungekühlt / heiß – Ingmar Aug 8 '16 at 15:48
    I think "Zimmertemperatur" would do the trick. – tofro Aug 8 '16 at 15:52
    lauwarm oder handwarm, je nachdem, wie warm es wirklich ist – Robert Aug 8 '16 at 17:50
  • I feel lauwarm and handwarm (maybe 30-35 °C?) are warmer than the typical room temperature (20-22 °C). – Raketenolli Aug 8 '16 at 23:23

I think, these translations would be best:

•chilled water = kaltes/gekühltes Wasser (gekühlt sounds a bit better)

•ambient water --> there are multiple possible translations:

• raumtemperiertes Wasser (this is an official word by producers of water dispensers)
  • ungekühltes Wasser (like you already said)
  • laues Wasser

•hot water = warmes/heisses Wasser

Hope I could help you.

• Thank you, raumtemperiert seems great. Maybe still a Little Long, but straight to the Point, Part of the lingo and usable in many ways. – Matthias Aug 11 '16 at 21:08
  • I'm glad I could help! – MichelleH Aug 17 '16 at 8:11
  • Suggesting lauwarm – Jan Aug 20 '16 at 0:39

If the dispenser looks similar to the ones typically found in offices, I would get rid of "water" at all, since this is obvious. This leaves you with the labels:

• kalt
  • normal
  • heiß

It is always tricky to state attractively, that one does nothing. So another approach would be to use a totally different term like frisch, which should work when looking at the other terms in comparison.

A more international symbolic approach would be to use color-coded bullets:

• blue
  • hollow (i. e. a circle) or grey
  • red

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.