Utterance is translated into German as "Aussage" or "Äußerung". My question is could we say "to make an utterance" like in English or were we supposed to choose another word for that?

If a person makes an utterance of this sort, we could say she is doing something rather than merely saying something.
Wenn eine Person eine Art dieser Äußerung macht, kann man sagen, dass sie etwas tut, anstatt etwas zu sagen.

• I fixed a few minor mistakes not relevant to your question. Also note, that you said "should" (meaning "sollte") in your English sentence, but "kann" (meaning "could") in the German sentence. I changed the English to "could" as it seems to make more sense. – Em1 Aug 23 '16 at 9:42
  • Em1, Is it not Kann is Can and Könnte is Could? – srina Aug 23 '16 at 11:45
  • @Em1 But the English sentence was correct… I'd recommend you revert that edit. – user22484 Aug 23 '16 at 14:50
  • Oups, right. My bad. Not sure about what's the best English version, perhaps the English sentence should contain "can"; however, the German one is probably best with "können". That being said, if someone is going to revert the English sentence to "should", I think the German one should reflect this with "sollten", though. – Em1 Aug 23 '16 at 14:58
  • I'd propose to swap Äußerung and Art in your last sentence: Wenn jemand (less offical sounding than eine Person) ein Äußerung dieser Art macht... – guidot Aug 24 '16 at 7:29

You can say sich äußern, also z. B. Gerd äußerte sich zu der Frage, ob ....

• Is there a specific position of "sich" in a sentence or it must be side by side with it associated verb like "äußern"? I rewrite it like this: Wenn/falls eine Person sich eine Art dieser Äußerung äußert,... – Dragut Aug 23 '16 at 9:29
  • Not necessarily side-by-side; example: Möchte sich jemand noch zu diesem Tagesordnungspunkt äußern? – Martin Peters Aug 23 '16 at 9:39

To make an utterance could be sich äußern or eine Äußerung/Aussage tätigen or eine Äußerung/Aussage von sich geben.

Person A makes an utterance
Person A äußert sich
Person A tätigt eine Äußerung
Person A gibt eine Äußerung von sich

In that sense I'd translate your sentence as

Wenn eine Person sich in dieser Art äußert [or eine Aussage dieser Art tätigt], könnte man sagen, dass sie etwas tut, anstatt nur etwas zu sagen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.