I have heard this phrase in song by Shpongle (Room 23)

I'm feeling very shpongled.

Smashed, mashed, completely gestunken flucht.

To be shpongled is to be kippered, mashed, smashed, destroyed... Completely gestunken flucht.

Feel so smooth. Everything's tingling.

It does sound German (or at least Germanic) (Google translate gives: aligned stunk which does not make a lot of sense)

Sample of the song

What does it mean?

That is not what is sung. It is possible however that those were written lyrics that the singer had. – Carsten S Aug 25 '16 at 16:29
  • @CarstenS Out of curiosity: is there a place where I can hear what they sing? The link the OP gave refers to a .exe which I definitely won't download. – PerlDuck Aug 25 '16 at 16:32
  • @PerlDog youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1PjctB0-A&t=50s in regards to link yeah don't click there - not sure what addwadre you'll get, I only pasted it for source of lyrics – Matas Vaitkevicius Aug 25 '16 at 16:34
    @MatasVaitkevicius Thank you. You link gives that (in)famous "Your country … NOT … GEMA" sign for German viewers, but this one works (until YT figures out). – PerlDuck Aug 25 '16 at 16:40
  • @PerlDog, it's on Spotify, – Carsten S Aug 25 '16 at 16:42

It appears to be pseudo German gibberish.

gestunken = past participle of stinken (to stink)
Flucht = noun, e.g., escape/flight; row of built structure, etc.

Given the 'psychedelic' style of the song, it may be meant as a reference or homage to the likes of Can and Amon Düül from the 1960s and 70s, the era of very experimental German alternative music, also labelled Krautrock in English, which has been influential to rock/pop music in general .

| improve this answer | |
    "flucht" can also stem from "fluchen" (to swear) as in "He swears" -- "Er flucht". But I agree: it looks like gibberish. – PerlDuck Aug 25 '16 at 15:03
  • Hi, I have added youtube link to the song hope this helps. – Matas Vaitkevicius Aug 25 '16 at 16:51
    @MatasVaitkevicius In the video, it seems to be pronounced roughly like you would pronounce "flugged" in English, or "flackt" in German. So it's neither "Flucht" (escape, with short "u") nor "flucht" ((so.) swears, with a long "u"), and likely indeed some gibberish. – Marco13 Aug 28 '16 at 3:06

I believe this is only Pseudosprache, just made up words like the "shpongled" in "English". It's just the way a child would sing along with an english song without knowing the language properly, or as we did as kids when playing "Cowboys and Indians" talking out of the side of our mouths in a supposedly american flavoured English.

Theres no other meaning in this phrase other than it's understood to be a bad thing

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.