I would like to translate this sentence into German:

You have no right to try to change him.

In English, I have to use two infinitives in this sentence.

Since it is

ich versuche, etw. zu machen

and the subordinate clause needs also a verb with "zu", I thought it might be something like

Du hast kein Recht, ihn sich zu verändern zu versuchen.

But I feel that is possibly wrong. How could I build this kind of sentence?

German needs two infinitives as well here:

Du hast kein Recht, ihn zu verändern zu versuchen.

Du hast kein Recht, zu versuchen, ihn zu ändern.

Double infinitive does sound a bit weird, though, both in English and in German, the former a bit more than the latter.

So your sentence was basically OK, but the 'zu' stands alone - It doesn't merge with the verb.

|improve this answer|||||
  • and what about the type sich+akk+[ver]ändern? Shouldn't I put 'sich' somewhere in the sentence? – Vassilis De Aug 26 '16 at 9:24
    @VassilisDe Nope. sich makes the verb reflexive and thus changes the meaning to change yourself. Object and Subject are identical, then. – tofro Aug 26 '16 at 9:31
    @VassilisDe A sentence where "sich" would make sense is: "Du hast kein Recht ihm einzureden, dass er sich zu ändern hat." (You have no right to talk him into thinking he had to change himself.) – Em1 Aug 26 '16 at 9:32

Du hast kein Recht, zu versuchen, ihn zu verändern.

Note that the second verb should be "verändern" (or "ändern"), rather than the reflexive "sich verändern" or "sich ändern".

|improve this answer|||||
    We love explanations! – Em1 Aug 26 '16 at 9:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.