If I’m not mistaken, the formal imperative reads like this:

<Infinitive Verb> + Sie + … ( + bitte).

In case of the verb sein the infinitive is just sein itself. So on what grounds this sentence is correct?

Seien Sie vorsichtig.

I did not figure it out after a little lookup.

This does indeed look like an exception. I am not aware of any other verbs where the imperative polite form does not match the infinitive (but I may just not have thought of it). In any case, the polite (Sie-form) imperative of sein is indeed seien.

Canoo.net claims that there are only two imperatives: singular and plural. For sein, the singular imperative would be sei and the plural one seid. They continue to say that to make a polite request, one must resort to conjunctive I of the third person plural (capitalised to be Sie). Since they state no exceptions, it seems that ‘seien Sie’ can be perfectly rationalised with this rule. Again, I am not aware of any other verb whose conjunctive I form in third person plural does not match its infinitive.

Canoo.net’s definition does suffer from the fact that an imperative statement comes with a different word order, but it seems consistend and rational.

Ahh, once more sein proves to be the exception to every rule. Most irregular word there is, in every language that has it. – Chieron Sep 2 '16 at 15:06

The infinitive "sein" and the 3rd plural present subjunctive "sie seien" are etymologically identical: both continue MHG sin. The difference between "sein" and "seien" is purely orthographic.Moreover "seien" is normally pronounced just like "sein" ("sei'n Sie so gut..."); the bisyllabic pronunciation of "seien" is spelling-based.

• Your etymological argument sounds plausible (I am just a layman). I heard bisyllabic pronunciation of seien too often to attribute it to people pronouncing the spelling, though. – Jan Sep 4 '16 at 20:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.