Are there any plans to reform the German orthography even more?

closed as primarily opinion-based by Hubert Schölnast, Robert, Tom Au, Jan, Beta Sep 4 '16 at 20:27

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• What did the new one improve in your opinion? I, for one, have plans to go back to the old one. Trouble is,while I never got used to it, the new one made me forget the old one! – Ludi Sep 4 '16 at 14:29
  • See also rechtschreibrat.com – Loong Sep 5 '16 at 15:18
    A question about plans is not "opinion-based", it asks for facts. So the reason for putting this on hold is wrong. – äüö Sep 6 '16 at 9:05
  • A question about plans is about unannounced future events. Maybe opinion-based is not the best way to put it but I believe this has been closed correctly. – Jan Sep 6 '16 at 21:17
  • @Jan A question about plans is about future events. There is nothing opinion-based about the answers "Something has been announced" or "Nothing has been announced". – Uwe Sep 7 '16 at 0:45

There is a well-known statement by Johanna Wanka, now Federal Minister for Education and Research, and formerly Minister for Science and Culture of the states of Brandenburg and Lower Saxony and president of the Kultusministerkonferenz, that appeared in an interview in "Spiegel" in January 2006: "The Ministers of Culture have long known that the spelling reform was wrong. For reasons of state, it has not been withdrawn." („Die Kultusminister wissen längst, dass die Rechtschreibreform falsch war. Aus Gründen der Staatsräson ist sie nicht zurückgenommen worden.“)

So, while there may indeed be a few people who are in favor of further changes of the German orthography (I wouldn't call them improvements myself), it is very unlikely that such plans are supported by the current political class.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.