When going to the doctor or pharmacy, how do you say “I’m currently on/taking x” [insert name of medicine]. Google Translate is giving me the literal translation of nehmen which I’m pretty sure it isn’t right.

But it is....... – Gerhard Sep 16 '16 at 13:26
    Don't be tempted to use a literal translation - "Ich bin auf xxx" works well with drugs, but not with medicine and will convey the meaning of "I am addicted to xxx" / "intoxicated with xxx" – tofro Sep 16 '16 at 13:40
    Although I often here it used for comedic effect. ‘Nee, ich trink heut nix, ich bin auf Paracetamol.’ – Jan Sep 16 '16 at 14:23

For example, you are taking Aspirin.

You can simply say;

Ich nehme derzeit Aspirin (ein).

Before a meal

Ich nehme derzeit Aspirin vor dem Essen (ein)

During a meal

Ich nehme derzeit Aspirin zum Essen (ein)

After a meal

Ich nehme derzeit Aspirin nach dem Essen (ein)

In this link, you can find lots of terms related to this topic: for more

The tongue-in-cheek "Ich bin auf Aspirin", making it sound like you're a drug addict, is not too uncommon, either. – user195692 Sep 16 '16 at 14:20
    No, the ein is not optional. With ein it sounds like ‘I’m taking a pill of aspirin right at this moment.’ Without ein it’s ‘I have taken aspirin today’ or ’I regularly take aspirin.’ – Jan Sep 16 '16 at 14:27
  • @ Jan While not applicable to the Aspirin of the answer, the regular process is just what the original question asks for. – guidot Sep 16 '16 at 20:08
  • @Jan I have editted the answer:) – Ad Infinitum Sep 17 '16 at 7:55

After some consideration, I'd like to supply some more choices.

The most universal is, also appropriate to non-medicines like alcohol

Ich stehe unter xxx (-Einfluss).

I also vote for

Ich nehme (außerdem/ n-mal täglich) xxx (ein?).

As Jan points out, this strongly suggests regularity, but I guess, this applies to I'm on xxx the same way.

Most striking example:

Ich nehme die Pille.

Note, that ein implies, the medicine is applied orally. It does not intuitively suggest other appliance methods e.g. ointments, injections...

In the latter case this sentence may work

Ich spritze xxx ( z. B. Insulin)

Other possibilities include:

Ich werde mit xxx behandelt

(Indicates, a doctor is involved)

or even:

Ich bin in einer xxx-Therapie.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.