A common German valediction at the end of emails or letters is dein/e, e.g:

Dein Luli.

In my language, this is only used for one’s boyfriend or girlfriend. Is it acceptable to use that valediction for other people, i.e. non-romantic friends in German?

• Welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. I really don’t get what you’re asking from the way you’re wording your question: dein is a possessive pronoun second person singular. I have voted to close as unclear. Please edit your question to clarify its meaning. Learn more about closing and editing in the help center. – Jan Sep 29 '16 at 13:05
    I edited your question to make it clearer. I also cleaned up the tags; 90 % had no connection to the question whatsoever. As an aside: Which is your language? – Jan Sep 29 '16 at 14:02

There is absolutely nothing wrong in German with using the valediction dein for anybody who you would address using the more informal du second person pronoun. It can be used towards the significant other, good friends, not-so good friends, family and even colleagues (assuming that Sie is not standard at your workplace).

When a letter or email is addressed to more than one person, one would use euer instead. And if you use the formal second person pronoun Sie but still want to indicate some sort of closeness, using Ihr … is also fine.

While a certain degree of closeness is associated with this type of valediction (i.e. you wouldn’t use Ihr if writing to a bank) there are much more intimate valedictions available.

| improve this answer | |

In theory, dein/e can indeed be used in the suggested context.

In practice, this valediction seems to have largely fallen out of use at least among the younger generations. I exchange plenty of (electronic, but following the same form for written content as physical) letters, and I think I have never seen the valediction dein/e in that context, while (viele/liebe/herzliche) Grüße, bis bald, and plenty others are commonly used.

There is indeed one class of letters that routinely uses Ihr/e. Those are usually advertisements whose (alleged) senders try to force a sense of familiarity onto the recipient. Still, they are not trying to insinuate a romantic relationship.

"Dein" is used with people one is "close to." This includes, but is not limited to, significant others. It would normally be used to one's children (one might address parents, teachers, or other "older" people as Sie), but close friends would also be addressed as "du" or "dein."

"one would address parents as Sie": really? Ich kann es kaum glauben. – TonyK Sep 30 '16 at 17:36
  • @TonyK: That was true of people my age (59). Maybe you come from a different generation. – Tom Au Sep 30 '16 at 17:37
    Well, you say your parents aren't German, and I can believe that some governesses insisted on 'Sie'. But parents? Even 50 years ago? – TonyK Sep 30 '16 at 17:39
  • @TonyK: On the one hand, I agree with you, on the other hand, I know of instances where parents were rederred to as Herr Vater and Frau Mutter, respectively, although that does not necessarily imply also using Sie. – O. R. Mapper Oct 1 '16 at 3:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.