When writing down homework assignment, anglophones often announce it with "H/W:", "HW:" or "HMW:", because the teacher typically has already started speaking and they don't want to waste time spelling out the entire word "Homework".

Do German students shorten "Hausaufgabe:" similarly? Would they write "H/A:" or "HAG:" or something else?

My kids use "HA". Both of them. I consider that common. – tofro Sep 29 '16 at 19:40
    In Austria it's commonly referred to as Hausübung, often abbreviated as HÜ. – Ingmar Sep 29 '16 at 20:35
    I just used to draw a little home "icon". – Bartłomiej Zalewski Sep 30 '16 at 7:01
    Schrägstriche in Abkürzungen sind mir generell unbekannt. Da Hausaufgabe ein Wort ist gehört das A auch klein geschrieben, aber üblich mag etwas anderes sein. – user unknown Sep 30 '16 at 13:48
    The German teachers I met wrote it "H.A", and pronounced each letter separately: " Haa Ahh". – Ahmed Khalaf Oct 1 '16 at 18:34

While there is not official abbreviation the common one simply is HA. The cool kids of today call them Hausi. :)

| improve this answer | |
    Apparantly, cool kids haven’t changed their preferred word in almost twenty years then. (Oh god, I’m old …) – Jan Sep 30 '16 at 10:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.