Was ist der Unterschied zwischen "wie folgend" und "wie folgendes", z. B.:

1. Meine Arbeitszeiten sind wie folgend:
  2. Meine Arbeitszeiten sind wie folgendes:
  • If I am not wrong, if there is a noun after this, you shoud also be careful for the article. I mean, for example, wie folgendes Beispiel. However, to answer your question, I would say wie folgt but I am not sure. – Ad Infinitum Oct 11 '16 at 14:42
  • I would use "wie folgt/folgendermaßen", too. In Duden they have the example: "die Formel lautet[,] wie folgt (folgendermaßen)" duden.de/rechtschreibung/wie_Konjunktion_Vergleich – Iris Oct 12 '16 at 7:15

In the first sentence "wie folgend" is used as a synonym of "as follows", however I think even the given example is a bit bad and -my feeling says- a verb is missing. I would prefere using "folgendermaßen" or "wie folgt" -with the same meaning- as suggested by @Iris in her comment. A better formulation here would be (verb in bold letters):

Meine Arbeitszeiten sind wie folgt (or folgendermaßen) dargestellt/beschrieben:

And here an exmaple of a sentence using "wie folgend":

Die Frage möchte ich wie folgend beantworten:

I'd like to answer the question as follows:

Even here I would prefere using "wie folgt" or "folgendermaßen". You can take a look at other examples here IMO the first example is among the best uses for "wie folgend".

The second sentence is wrong, "wie folgendes" requires a noun. A better or more correct formulation using "folgende" (instead of"folgendes") is:

Meine Arbeitszeiten sind folgende:

"folgende" is used here as a synonym of "the following".

Examples for sentences using wie folgende/wie folgender/wie folgendes:

Wie folgende Grafik zeigt ist unser Umsatz gestiegen.

As shown by the following chart, our sales have risen.

Die Datenliste kann auch einfach sortiert und neu aufgebaut werden wie folgendes Beispiel zeigt.

The data list can be also easily sorted and redisplayed as the following example shows. (Source)

Folgendes sind meine Arbeitszeiten - shouldn't it be Folgende? – Martin Rosenau Oct 14 '16 at 6:06
  • @MartinRosenau I can't see a reason why! Note I'm a native speaker who didn't grow up in Germany so my theoretical grammar background is about zero even if I don't commit much errors! Folgendes refers to "die Arbeitszeiten" – Medi1Saif Oct 14 '16 at 6:09
    Quite simple: You might say "Folgendes ist mein Hobby:" (= singular) or "Folgende sind meine Hobbies:" (= plural). "Arbeitszeiten" is plural. However as a native speaker I would say that everyone would put the "folgende" at the end and not at the beginning of the sentence: "Meine Arbeitszeiten sind folgende:" – Martin Rosenau Oct 14 '16 at 6:13

They are both used incorrectly, even though "wie folgend" is often seen as a (too close) translation of "as follows". However, this should be translated with "wie folgt" or "folgendermaßen". "wie folgende(r/s)" should be followed by a noun.

The second one is wrong. Folgendes is a neuter declined form, so it has to be followed by a neuter noun.

Meine Arbeitszeiten sind [so] wie folgendes Blatt beschreibt:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.