What do you call a truck driver in German? It is a man who drives a truck.

What does LKW-Fahrer, the term I've been taught, mean in this context?

closed as off-topic by Em1, Robert, guidot, tofro, Jan Oct 11 '16 at 19:14

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Em1, Robert, guidot, tofro
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

it ma ydepend on where you need the word. if it is a jobdescription or translation of a novel... what do you need? – swe Oct 11 '16 at 14:17
  • Yiddish had a nice term for this occupation in the old country: "balagulah" (= ba'al ha-agulah, Heb. "master of the wheels"). Generally a horse-and-wagon driver but i think it would have carried over to a motorized freight driver. – Marty Green Oct 11 '16 at 15:29

This is to long for a comment. Ad Infinitums answer is already very good.

But actually the most common word in colloquial language is LKW- Fahrer as mentioned in the question itself.

LKW- Fahrer is simply a short form for Lastkraftwagen- Fahrer, who is -you guess- the Fahrer of a Lastkraftwagen. A short -and still valid- form ist Lastwagenfahrer as mentioned by Martin.

A Fernfahrer is mostly the same but with the connotation of driving long distances, whereas an LKW- Fahrer could also drive the refuse lorry.

The third suggestion Berufskraftfahrer is an umbrella term for everybody driving a Kraftfahrzeug in his job, that can be a taxi, bus, truck or even a car of a pizza delivery service.

As Perl Dog mentions in his comment, there is an even more colloquial term: Brummifahrer is used in colloquial speech. It is an onomatopoeia and describes the sound of a truck or more general a car: "Brumm" or even "Brumm-Brumm" is, what already very small children will say, if you point to a truck (or any other car) and ask, what it is.

• Very good summary for all these related words. – Ad Infinitum Oct 11 '16 at 14:26
    To my experience Brummifahrer is even more colloquial. – PerlDuck Oct 11 '16 at 14:52
    For persons who don't come home in the evening. Instead doing long travels and sleep in their vehicles is "Fernfahrer" the most common expression in everyday German. – mizech Oct 12 '16 at 6:43

You can just say Lastwagenfahrer.

Remark: It does not necessarily have to be long-distance which Fernfahrer would imply.

The Wikipedia suggests Fernfahrer.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernfahrer

P.S
I would like to mention my method to find the best suggestion(s). It works most of the time for me.

For example, if I am looking for a specific word but the dictionary suggests me lots of words (sometimes very irrelevant words) and when I am not sure, which one to pick. In these cases, I follow the following steps;

1.Search the target word in Wikipedia (English)

2.Scroll down a little

3.Click on the Deutsch on the left side under languages section

4.You have the word in German(This works naturally for other languages as well)

I am also not native speaker of German and for your question, I found the word in this way. Lets see what the native speakers will say.

Yes, you are right. I also like this method of translation. – äüö Oct 11 '16 at 13:33
  • @äüö I am happy to see my method works good:) With this method, I can find very specific words. E.g the name of flowers, animals etc.. – Ad Infinitum Oct 11 '16 at 13:40
  • Note that "Fernfahrer" has a connotation that "LKW-Fahrer" doesn't have. Both drive a truck, but the former term indicates that you drive over a long distance, the latter one just states that you drive a truck. – Em1 Oct 11 '16 at 13:42
    @Em1 could a driver, who drives a "PKW", over a long distance be called as well Fernfahrer? – Ad Infinitum Oct 11 '16 at 13:45
    Berufskraftfahrer is anyone who drives a "Kraftfahrzeug" in his job. This can be taxi drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers as "Kraftfahrzeug" is not restricted to trucks, but means (almost) everything that uses fuel to drive... – Torsten Link Oct 11 '16 at 14:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.