I am aware that seit is a dative preposition. But I read in a book "seit ein paar Tagen" instead of "seit einen paar Tagen".

Why is that if seit is a dative preposition?

"Ein" is a part of "ein paar" and "ein paar" is an unchangeable pronoun. That is why "ein" is not changed to "einem". Note that "Tagen" is dative.

If you would use "einige" or "wenige" (synonyms of "ein paar") they would take their respective dative forms - "seit einigen/wenigen Tagen".

PS. Don't confuse "ein paar" with "ein Paar". The latter is a substantive (a pair, a couple) and "ein" can change (mit einem Paar Schuhe - with a pair of shoes).

You can see this in the following sentences: Ein paar Leute diskutieren (Nominative). Ich sehe ein paar Leute (Akkusative). Ich esse mit ein paar Leuten (Dative). But: Ein Paar Schuhe ist nicht genug (Nominative). Ich kaufe ein Paar Schuhe (Accusative). Ich laufe in einem Paar Schuhe (Dative). – Thorsten Dittmar Oct 12 '16 at 8:17

This is correct:

Seit ein paar Tagen.

This is half correct:

Seit einem Paar Tagen.

This is wrong:

Seit einen paar Tagen.

Let's talk about »Seit einem Paar Tagen.« first:

You are right, »seit« asks for a dative object. But the dative of the indefinite article »ein« is not »einen« but »einem« or »einer«:

Seit einem Jahr. (neuter: das Jahr, ein Jahr)
Seit einem Monat. (male: der Monat, ein Monat)
Seit einer Woche. (female: die Woche, eine Woche)

So if there was any period of time which comes in pairs, you could say:

Seit einem Paar Xxx.

(»ein Paar« with uppercase P in »Paar« is »a couple« or »a pair«. »Paar« is a noun here: Das Paar = the couple.)

Like in

Mit einem Paar Schuhe habe ich nicht genug.
One pair of shoes is not enough for me. (Literally: »I don't have enough with one pair of shoes.«)

But there is no period of time that comes in couples or pairs, and this is why this construction still is wrong. (Just the case of the article was correct).

»Ein paar« (with lower case »paar«) means »some«:

In der Dose sind noch ein paar Kekse.
There are some cookies in the jar.

So when you want to say »since some days« than you use »seit ein paar Tagen«:

My car doesn't start any more since some days.
Meine Karre springt seit ein paar Tagen nicht mehr an.

And »ein paar Tagen« is still in dative case.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.