How do you translate 'bei' in terms of 'sich verlieben'...

z.B.

Das ist Musik, bei der man sich sofort verliebt.

"sich verlieben" has no relevance here. You can also say "bei der man tanzt", "bei der man ausflippt", "bei der einem sich Haare kräuseln", you name it. A preposition which is closely connected to "sich verlieben", however, is "in" as in "sich in etw. / jdn. verlieben". – Em1 Oct 18 '16 at 11:56
  • But how bei is translated varies depending on the context... My question is basically abou how you translate bei in the context of 'sich verlieben' – Jacob Lee-Hart Oct 18 '16 at 12:03
  • But yes rephrasing the question like that makes it much clearer – Jacob Lee-Hart Oct 18 '16 at 12:05
  • "Dies ist die Musik..." sounds strange, even though it is not wrong. "Das ist Musik..." is more natural German. – Iris Oct 18 '16 at 12:06
    The "bei" in your question and in the examples of Em1 is always the same. The verb does not change the context. – Iris Oct 18 '16 at 12:08

bei more or less translates to "while" (I cannot think of a 100% translation at the moment, though).

This is music that makes you fall in love while listening.

(The "falling in love" is not with the music, but with someone/something else)

This is music that goes well with falling in love

(This misses a bit the reason is in the music)

| improve this answer | |

The important part is the "(Das ist) Musik, bei der"* construction, not the verb.

Das ist Musik, bei der man tanzt

is a relativ clause with preposition, but I am not sure how to translate the construction most accuratly.

It can be translated as

"Dance music", "Music to which people are dancing" or "That is music that makes people dance"

More examples

Das ist Musik, bei der man = That's music that makes people

• ausflippt = go crazy
  • eine Gänsehaut bekommt = get goose bumbs (because the music is so emotional)
  • wegrennen möchte = want to run away (because the music is so bad)
  • heulen muss = cry (because the music is so bad)
  • sich sofort verliebt = fall in love (because the music is so good/romantic)

The fall in love could refer to the music (to fall in love with the music because it is so good) or it could refer to other people (nearby) (to fall in love with someone near because it is so romantic).

In English, we would say

That's music to fall in love to.

So in this case bei translates as to. This is unusual: Leo gives near, by, with, during, on, at, in, and next to as possible translations for bei, and none of these fits your sentence. I suppose you could say

That's music to fall in love by.

But that would be my second choice.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.