My great-grandmother, who passed away around 1991 at the age of 96, used some German phrases that none of us could remember or understand. One of the phrases sounded like "Eshmeck nuck nock" (that's what it sounded like to me, I could be mistaken though). She always said this after dinner or lunch. As far as I recall, it means, "it was very tasty, can I have some more?" or "I liked it, one more time". Not sure about the exact meaning.

I am not looking for a simple translation, I am looking for a specific phrase, just one particular expression that people used to say around 1910-1915 because it was around that time that my great-grandmother got her education.

Update: it might be "es schmeckt nach mehr". What does it mean?

Could it have been "Das schmeckt nach mehr?" – tofro Oct 30 '16 at 10:26
  • Thank you for your comment. "Das schmeckt" sounds plausible. I don't remember "mehr" though. I thought it ended with a "noche", if I remember it correctly. – Banana Oct 30 '16 at 12:27
    The Duden gives some nice examples for sayings: duden.de/woerterbuch/deutsch-englisch/schmecken Even if it does not sound like this I would say it could be: "Es schmeckt nach mehr" but this is only a guess. This means the sayer is in hope there is more. Either immediately or later unspecified. – Thomas Oct 30 '16 at 17:24
    No song, no nothing - just colloquial speak. I have found Es schmeckt nach mehr in a dictionary from 1810, so it's also quite old. – tofro Oct 30 '16 at 22:50
    Where was she from (region, social background)? – Philipp Jul 24 at 4:01

Es schmeckt nach mehr

is a colloquial expression you use when you really like some food or drink and ask for another helping.

It simply says "It tasted so good that I'd like to have some more".

Camps Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache (1810) says:

Das schmeckt nach mehr sagt man im gemeinen Leben von einer Sache, welche so gut schmeckt, daß man mehr davon haben und genießen möchte.

So the expression has been around for some time and is still in good use today (as long as good food is near)

• Thanks a lot! Even though I don't remember the exact phrase, it could be it. – Banana Oct 31 '16 at 11:09

Wild guesses:

Es schmeckt noch nach!

(I still have the taste in my mouth)

Es schmeckt noch nach (...mehr)

(It tastes like (...wanting more of it))

• Good point. Your first guess is phonetically quite close to what the OP remembered, while the second (already in tofro's answer) fits more to the supposed meaning. – Volker Landgraf Jul 25 at 11:50
  • The second one is ungrammatical in my opinion. nach is adverbial, not prepositional (I bet that's the correct PoS's). – vectory Jul 27 at 19:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.