I am supposed to fill in the blank, but to be able to do that, I must first understand the sentence. I need help with understanding the sentence, not filling in the blank.

Der Fleischhauer liegt gleich ___ der Wohnung, deshalb geht sie zu Fuß.

I translate the sentence to

The butcher lies (?) ____ the apartment, therefor she goes by foot.

In this (!) context you may translate gleich with right: The butcher's right .... to the apartment. – Ingmar Oct 30 '16 at 15:31
  • direkt, unmittelbar – user unknown Oct 31 '16 at 2:48
  • Note *Fleischhauer" needs to be interpreted as "butcher's store", not the person. – tofro Oct 31 '16 at 9:58
    For a bit of fun, fill in "vergiftet in" ;) – tofro Oct 31 '16 at 13:26
  • I think "just" instead of "right" would fit as well: The butcher is just …… the apartment. – PerlDuck Nov 2 '16 at 20:26

In this case it is synonymous with right in English here:

Der Bäcker ist gleich nebenan.
The bakery is right next door.

Please do look up other possible meanings of gleich just to make sure you get the correct meaning in other contexts.

The two words liegt gleich are referring to location. So to be literal and say lies is really not using the full terminology. Liegt gleich is referring to "it's right in front of" the apartment. Sometimes individual words need the assistance of other words to make the proper translation.

• Etwas kann aber auch gleich hinter, neben, gegenüber von etwas liegen und es kann etwas, das im engl. männlich oder weiblich ist, sein - Deine Phrase ist also zu spezifisch. – user unknown Nov 2 '16 at 20:04

I’d say that gleich is coming from the temporal context in this case:

When she gets out of her door, she’ll be at the butcher’s soon.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.