I will prepare something to eat.

Is it correct to translate that sentence using:

Ich werde bereit, etwas zu essen.

If so, how does the word bereit meaning ready become in effect the verb for prepare?

• Your question is unclear (to me): do you mean you get ready to eat something (like washing your hands etc.) or do you mean you want to cook something (prepare food)? – PerlDuck Nov 7 '16 at 21:19
  • No it is not. Ich werde bereit, etwas zu essen means I will become ready to eat something. to prepare means (zu-/vor)bereiten in German, so the word-by-word translation would be Ich werde zubereiten etwas zu Essen and due to the rules of German word order this would turn into Ich werde etwas zu essen zubereiten. – Thorsten Dittmar Nov 8 '16 at 10:34

You mixed up the verb bereiten (to prepare) and the adverb bereit (prepared, ready, willing).

Ich werde etwas zu essen bereiten.

There is also zubereiten, which is more common for preparing food and means the same in this sentence.

Ich werde etwas zu essen zubereiten.

They aren't always interchangeable, however.

Ich werde ihr eine Überraschung bereiten.

I will cause/prepare her a surprise.

BUT NOT

Ich werde ihr eine Überraschung zubereiten.

A third variant is vorbereiten, which literally means to prepare. It's also more common than simple bereiten.

Ich werde mich vorbereiten.

I will prepare myself.

Ich werde etwas zu essen vorbereiten.

The difference to bereiten can be subtle. But bereiten is rarely used, you go well with zubereiten for food and vorbereiten for anything else.

Now the adverb bereit.

Ich bin bereit, etwas zu essen.

I am ready to eat something.

I am willing to eat something.

"Bereit" means "ready" or prepared. That is the adjectival form.

It is "bereiten," the verb form that means "to prepare."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.