I don’t know whether to use Präsens or Konjuntiv II when using the phrase … als ob … For example, which of the following is correct?

Warum tust du so, als ob du ein Affe bist?

Warum tust du so, als ob du ein Affe wärst?

• Conjunctivus irrealis because he is not => Konjunktiv II.
    – Ingmar
    Nov 11 '16 at 6:47
    The difference is not the tense but the mood.
    – Carsten S
    Nov 11 '16 at 10:15
  • Even if the conjunctive form (wärst) is correct, in spoken language the first is also widely used. I am wondering if it will be allowed soon. ;-)
    – Thomas
    Nov 11 '16 at 11:57
  • @CarstenS Why do you not edit the question?
    – Thomas
    Nov 11 '16 at 11:58

Your second sentence is correct. For expressing something in the Irrealis you need a Konjunktiv.

Duden states that these kind of als-ob-Irrealis sentences can also be used with Konjunktiv I although Konjunktiv II is more common. So both these sentences are correct:

• Warum tust du so, als ob du ein Affe wärst? [Konjunktiv II]

• Warum tust du so, als ob du ein Affe seist? [Konjunktiv I]

Also, I want to point out that for the Irrealis you can just omit the ob. Where I come from in western Austria this form is considered rather formal compared to the als ob version, but it is definitely used in daily speech.

Use it like this:

• Warum tust du so, als wärst du ein Affe? [Konjunktiv II]

The second sentence is correct.

The phrase ... als ob ... indicates that something is not the stated way, but we pretend it were.

Lass uns so tun, als ob wir reich wären.
Du siehst aus, als ob Du gerade aufgewacht wärst.

In your example: The person addressed is not a monkey, but he behaves like one.

Just to add to the comment made by "user unknown". You can use Konjunktiv I to express the same thing:

Lass uns so tun, als ob wir reich seien

This works for all the above sentences. But usually, to express the irrealis, Konjunktiv II is used.

Warum nicht "Lass uns so tun, als ob wir reich seien"? Nov 11 '16 at 9:03
  • @userunknown Ich habe meine Antwort bearbeitet. Nov 11 '16 at 10:19
    Because they are not, so it has to be wären (Konjuntiv II).
    – Ingmar
    Nov 11 '16 at 10:41
  • @Ingmar: Und Konjunktiv 1 für indirekte Rede? Etwa: Klaus sagt, dass Peter ein Affe sei. Nov 12 '16 at 1:06
  • @userunknown Eher: Klaus sagt, dass Peter sich wie ein Affe benehme. Oder: Klaus sagt, Peter benehme sich, als ob er ein Affe wäre.
    – Ingmar
    Nov 12 '16 at 8:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.