I have checked Leo, Duden and some other online dictionaries but can not get a clear answer. I am curious how you as native speaking Germans would pronounce the word:

daneben

According to Wiktionary the pronunciation is: [ˈdaːneːbm̩]. Can this word be pronounced: [ˈdaːneːbn]?

In careful speech, it's [daˈneːbən], but the usual pronunciation is [daˈneːbm̩]: The schwa after /b/ is dropped, so the final /n/ becomes syllabic, moreover /n/ is assimilated to /b/, so it is turned into a syllabic /m/.

Note: In most contexts, I would not stress the first syllable, and if /a/ is not stressed, I would not pronounce it as a long vowel.

• regionally that final bn might even morph into a wn-sound – Vogel612 Dec 25 '16 at 17:36

DUH - nae - Bin, whereas the DUH and B are stressed, and the i is as short as possible — you really want it to sound like Bin or Bun but extremely short vowels, it’s just — Bn.

you could also just say -naeBn as one syllable, drawing it together a bit, speaking it faster, but it can be tricky and you have to try what you like better.

There is an n at the end of the word and you hear it, but it’s a bit softer because of the strong B sound before. In German, that super short vowel in there is an e from daneben, which in that case is spoken as a very short öh or uh — it just not there.

I have a hard time understanding your ‘pronunciation syllabics’. Why don’t you use IPA? – Jan Nov 11 '16 at 19:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.