I am looking for a list of German nouns derived from separable verbs. For example:

• abholen: Abholung
  • anfangen: Anfang
  • abnehmen: Abnahme

Does anything like this exist? Do these nouns have a specific name? I've searched around but so far came up empty handed. Danke im Voraus!

Pretty much every separable verb can be turned into at least one noun. I doubt such lists exist.
    – Jan
    Nov 17, 2016 at 14:42
  • Nobody would do such a list. A complementary reason to Jan's comment is that precisely the interesting list would be, if any, for the non-separable verbs. The separable are secondary, sort of.
    – c.p.
    Nov 17, 2016 at 22:12

1 Answer 1

Is there a reason you want to limit this to separable verbs? Because it works the same way for non-separable verbs.

The -ung-Form is used to name the result of an action, sometimes a recurring action (as in Leitung or Forschung.)

rechnen (to calculate) → Rechnung (bill)

leiten (to manage, conduct) → Leitung (management, wire, pipeline)

forschen (to research) → Forschung (research)

Nouns ending in -e instead of -ung are not made from the verb but vice-versa, or they just share the same root.

liegen (to lie, to couch) ←→ Liege (couch)

spitzen (to sharpen) ←→ Spitze (tip)

They often have a totally different meaning.

ahnen (to forebode) → Ahnung (presentiment)

ahnen (to forebode) ←|→ Ahne (ancestor)

rollen (to roll) ←→ Rolle (roll, but also role !)

Another list can be made for people or things who/which do something. Still no separable verb required.

rechnen (to calculate) → Rechner (computer, calculator)

leiten (to manage, conduct) → Leiter (manager, conductor)

forschen (to research) → Forscher, Forscherin (researcher)

And another list of nouns prefixed with Ge- denote a tool used to do the action or an alternative result when the -ung-form means something different or is nonexistant for non-obvious reasons.

fahren (to drive) → Gefährt (vehicle)

fühlen (to feel) → Gefühl (feeling) (Fühlung means contact)

backen (to bake) → Gebäck (pastry) (Backung is nonexistant)

züchten (to breed) → Gezücht (brood) (Züchtung means the action of breeding, today it's used for brood, too)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.